The six most worrying dangers of black mold


Mold is rampant during the winter when our homes rely on central heating when the outside temperature drops. When a property is not heated consistently, or the heat is distributed unevenly throughout each room, mold can appear in darker, more humid places. While mold may seem easy to wipe away, hard spores can cause serious problems for both your health and your home – but what are the most common dangers of black mold?

Mold can affect both your health and your home if left untreated.

While symptoms of mold inhalation or mold growth in the home may begin modestly, the problem can quickly escalate if the environment remains damp and dark.

A well-heated and ventilated home should keep mold from growing in dark corners of your home, but exterior issues like a burst pipe or a cracked wall could be the root cause of black mold growth.

When the right conditions are right, molds will reproduce and release spores that can seriously harm your health while damaging the surface on which they grow.

READ MORE: How to clean “yellowing” grout: the best way to clean bathroom grout

It can cause disease

Black mold can be irritating to the skin, sinuses, and lungs when inhaled.

It is very common to have a specific allergy to mold, although it is believed to affect most people even without an allergy to this toxic substance.

While many symptoms are overlooked and attributed to a common cold, these cold and flu-like side effects could well be caused by hidden black mold.

According to the medically accredited website Healthline, breathing toxic mold spores could lead to consistent symptoms, including:

  • A runny nose
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest tightness
  • Tearing
  • Itching
  • Itchy skin
  • Nasal congestion
  • sneezing

It can cause insomnia

Evidence gathered by the World Health Organization (WHO) suggests that sleeping in a room with mold can also affect the quality of your sleep.

Irritation of your eyes, nose, throat, and skin while sleeping in a musty room can prevent you from coughing or experiencing allergic symptoms that can interfere with your ability to sleep well at night – and in those days. more severe cases even cause insomnia.

It may make you nauseous

Headaches and nausea are a common side effect of prolonged exposure to black mold due to the musty smell given off by toxic spores.

This foul odor is one of the first signs of a mold problem and can get worse as the spores multiply, leaving you feeling tired with headaches and nausea.

The strong moldy smell can also make it difficult to breathe due to the thick, moldy texture of the spores.

DO NOT MISS :
Landlord banned from letting dirty property out of “house of horrors” [INSIGHT]
Four places mold could be lurking in your kitchen [GUIDE]
Ms. Hinch fans share ‘best tip’ for stopping washing machine mold [TIPS]

It can make existing conditions worse

While black mold is known to cause cold and flu-like symptoms, it’s also known to worsen pre-existing conditions like asthma and allergic rhinitis.

This bacteria-filled substance can severely irritate the sinus lining as well as the lungs and throat when inhaled over a long period of time.

Irritation of the lungs, coughing and wheezing can quickly escalate into a severe asthma attack in people with asthma if they are exposed to a concentrated amount of mold over time.

Allergic rhinitis can get worse when exposed to mold spores, worsening symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, and watery eyes over time.

It can eat away at materials

Mold is a living fungus that can eat away at materials like wallpaper, ceiling tiles, and floorboards as it begins to grow in the home.

Live bacteria can cause damage so severe that entire structures may need to be replaced, such as floors and ceilings.

In extreme cases of household mold growth, ceilings can collapse, walls can fall, and floorboards can collapse as bacteria weaken your home by feeding on the materials.

It can make your house uninhabitable

Severe cases of mold in the home can make your home uninhabitable for two reasons:

  1. It’s structurally dangerous
  2. It seriously harms your health

Homeowners have a legal obligation to deal with mold growth, or they may be required to be compensated.


Comments are closed.