Hatboro K-9 officer Ryan Allen dies months after brain injury from bee sting

A longtime Hatboro Police K-9 officer died Thursday while in hospice after suffering a brain injury from a bee sting late last year.

On Thursday afternoon, Chef James Gardner announced that Ryan Allen passed away surrounded by family and friends. Allen’s family had taken him into hospice care last month when they were told he would not recover significantly from his injuries.

In a statement posted to the Hatboro Facebook page, the Hatboro Chief said Allen was instrumental in creating the department’s first K-9 unit, was a member of the County of Montgomery and was part of Montgomery County FOP Lodge #14.

“Officer Allen was well known and loved in our community and was often seen around town with his canine partner, Louie,” his statement read in part.

Police departments across the region have expressed their support and offered condolences to Allen since he entered the hospice last month. Hundreds of officers from across the region led Allen out of his rehabilitation center into hospice care in a procession last month.

Allen leaves behind his wife, Whitney Allen, and two young children, one of whom was born a few months after the injury.

Allen will go to palliative careHatboro K-9 officer will transition to hospice care months after bee sting resulted in severe brain injury

Allen honored:K-9 officers pay tribute to Officer Hatboro who started the program before his brain injury

For subscribers:‘It’s like a bad dream for me’: Chalfont pizzeria owner’s nephew struggles to carry on

Ryan Allen, who had been with Hatboro for nine years, was stung by a bee at his home in Bucks County in October. He went into anaphylactic shock and was clinically dead for about 20 minutes, but EMS was able to restart his heart.

He suffered a traumatic brain injury from the length of time his brain was starved of oxygen. The officer has spent the last few months in various hospitals and rehabilitation centers.

Whitney Allen wrote on social media last month that it was their intention to bring her husband home for continued medical care and therapy following his release from Moss Rehabilitation. A GoFundMe page has been created to help offset the costs of this.

Whitney Allen said that after her brain swelling subsided, a recent MRI showed her brain shrinking and parts of her brain are no longer there.

“As his family and the people who know and love him the most, we know from the bottom of our hearts that Ryan would not want to live in the state he is in,” she wrote. “We want to do what’s best for Ryan, which is to give him his freedom and his peace after so much trauma and pain.”

Allen and K-9 Louie were well known in the community. Gardner said Allen played a key role in starting the K-9 program more than two years ago. He also served as the department’s first aid and CPR instructor and field training officer for new recruits.

Whitney Allen had set up a GoFundMe account which was originally intended to help offset Ryan Allen’s home care. It now goes to funeral expenses, unpaid medical bills, and any other unforeseen expenses. Whitney Allen thanked those who donated for their generosity.

Those wishing to donate to the campaign can do so here, https://www.gofundme.com/f/ryan-allen-return-home-after-severe-brain-injury. Over $130,000 has been donated so far.

Gardner said service arrangements will be announced by Ryan Allen’s family once finalized.

Comments are closed.