Food allergies can lead to death
Through Kate halim
When Mrs. Benita Godwin decided to take her daughter and her friends on her daughter’s birthday, she did not know that a health alert was lurking.
It was a happy day for Godwin and his daughter who just turned 18. According to Godwin, she decided to take her daughter and her friends to a nice restaurant in her area for some fun just to make the day memorable.
Godwin said saturday sun that when they got to the restaurant and looked through the menu, the girls decided to eat spaghetti and meat sauce while she opted for shrimp and fries. She said the food was delicious and they drank, took pictures, had a great time and left.
The mother-of-two added that the lovely birthday celebration was marred by what happened after they got home. She said her palms and toes started to itch uncontrollably. She felt her head grow bigger and her eyes were weird.
“I felt uncomfortable. My whole body was itching. I looked at myself in the mirror and my eyes were getting smaller. My face was swollen and I couldn’t breathe through my nose. My throat was on fire, ”Godwin revealed.
She said she called her daughter to tell her what was happening to her and her daughter screamed when she saw her face. Her daughter started to cry and told her to go to the hospital immediately.
According to Godwin who said she breathes through her mouth, she went online to find out if any of her symptoms were food allergies, as she noticed that she started to feel sick. after eating a giant shrimp in the restaurant where she took her daughter and her friends to.
Godwin said: “It all made sense when I searched for symptoms of food allergy to shrimp on Google. I confirmed my fears and called my doctor. He told me to rush to the hospital immediately. At that time, I was looking for air. It was as if my life was slipping away from me. I got dressed and rushed to the hospital.
Godwin said that immediately she arrived at the hospital, her blood pressure was checked and it was very high. His face started to drool. She had a red face and hives. Her vision started to fade and the itching intensified. She said she received two intravenous injections in quick succession as well as first aid medication. She was admitted and spent two days in the hospital.
Godwin said the experience scared him. She revealed that this was the second time she had suffered from a food allergy. She remembers that the first time she reacted to something she ate was when she was a child. She said she suffered from allergies after eating fried taro. However, she noted that the experience was not as bad as the one she had recently.
Ms Nkoyo Essien had her first allergic reaction when she was seven years old, showing tell-tale signs of a swollen face and eyes, a tight throat and fever. Since then, Essien, a businesswoman and mother of four, has been diligently protecting her children and also educating her family about food allergies.
“I am allergic to crayfish. If I eat food that contains crayfish, I will begin to respond immediately. My mom told me that the first time I suffered from food allergies was when I was seven years old. I ate rice cooked with crayfish and almost died, ”Essien revealed.
She said it was the intervention of her uncle living with them who was then a medical student that saved her life. Essien revealed that her uncle took her to the hospital immediately after noticing the symptoms in time.
For Tayo Adewale, 25, he first learned about food allergies when he was 12. He was eating bread with peanut butter on it and that was the last thing he remembered. He said he passed out as his face began to swell and he had difficulty breathing.
Adewale revealed that a quick trip to the hospital helped him get over the episode. But since then he has made sure to educate his family and others about the dangers of food allergies.
Food allergies at a glance
saturday sun spoke with Dr Gabriel Omonaiye, a doctor in Lagos who shed light on this common but dangerous health problem.
Omonaiye said food allergy is an adverse reaction to a certain food, caused by an immune-mediated reaction. It is somewhat common in children (about six percent) than in adults (four percent or less).
According to Omonaiye, for a person with this condition, eating or swallowing a small amount of food can precipitate symptoms such as rash, itching, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
He said symptoms can appear within minutes of taking the offending food, or can occur typically within two hours or after several hours. He added that other symptoms include sneezing and itching, runny or stuffy nose (allergic rhinitis), itching, redness, tearing (conjunctivitis), wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath and a cough. He said the symptoms could be mild or severe or be life threatening. The skin, gastrointestinal, respiratory and cardiovascular systems could be involved.
The skin may itch, develop hives and hives.
He said: “Some people with food allergies may have swollen lips, tongue, eyes or face, raised red skin and hives. Some children can have eczema.
He said there might be abdominal discomfort, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stools. The patient may have a cough, wheezing, difficulty in breathing, swelling of the tongue and throat resulting in an inability to speak or breathe properly.
Omonaiye revealed that these symptoms can manifest quickly with anaphylaxis. Blood pressure may drop suddenly and the pulse becomes fast and threadlike. If urgent and adequate medical help does not come quickly, death can ensue.
Omonaiye said saturday sun that when it comes to being allergic to certain foods, there may be a family member who suffers from food allergies, and a person may have had some form of allergic reaction in the past. It can also be a new event, which means there is no family history and no previous allergies.
He noted that common foods that can cause allergies include eggs, milk and dairy products, peanuts, shellfish and other related products like shrimp, oysters as well as soy and soy products. soy.
Omonaiye said that some of the preventative measures you can take to combat food allergies include staying away from foods that you are allergic to. Indeed, the initial reaction may be mild, but subsequent ones can be disastrous.
He said: “If you are allergic to any food, you would do well to see an allergist who will give you a panel of tests to find out if you have a cross-allergy to other foods.”
Omonaiye said home remedies for food allergies include the use of antihistamines, but noted that it is far better to seek emergency medical treatment. He added that the country needs an effective emergency response system to respond quickly to emergencies such as food allergies.
Omonaiye said diagnosing food allergies can be tricky. This is because the symptoms of a food allergy can vary from person to person and a single person may not always experience the same symptoms during each reaction.