‘Allergic To Everything’ East Sussex Nurse Almost Died After Eating Christmas Sandwich
A nurse who is “allergic to everything” says she almost died after eating a few bites of a Christmas sandwich – and still doesn’t know why.
Mia Lainchbury, 26, from East sussex, has been suffering from anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction, since September, when she took an antibiotic and could not breathe.
Since the extreme reaction, Mia, who already suffers from several chronic illnesses, claims that she has had to undergo CPR three times during allergy attacks.
The intern nurse who lives with her mum Steph and daddy Gavin even had a reaction to a hot shower, la Mirror reports.
Subscribe to SussexLive newsletter means you will receive the latest news straight to your inbox twice a day.
It couldn’t be simpler and it takes a few seconds – just Click here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your address in the box below the image on most desktop and mobile platforms.
Four days ago, Mia, who is usually tube fed and rarely eats solid foods, spotted a delicious turkey sandwich and knew she had to try it.
She said: “I spotted this turkey Christmas sarnie in the garage while my boyfriend was on gas and thought, ‘Oh my God, I must have him’!
“When I sat on the couch to eat it, I was like, ‘Ooh, this is so good,’ I was practically dancing with happiness.
“But, within 10 minutes, my airways would close and I couldn’t breathe although luckily on this occasion I didn’t need CPR.”
Mia had to call an ambulance and used two EpiPens to ease the reaction.
She said: “What started out as a delicious treat ended an hour later with three paramedics and breathing equipment,” she said, adding that she had no idea the ingredient in the sandwich that caused the reaction.
Mia has suffered from asthma since she was a child and has also been living with what she believed to be IBS for several years. However, Mia recently found out that she has a collapsed bowel, which means that part of her bowel works with a “telescoping action,” making it difficult for food to pass through.
After repeated attacks of anaphylaxis over the past two months, Mia is now certain that she has Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) which is believed to explain her symptoms.
She said: “I haven’t been officially diagnosed because you can’t really get an official diagnosis in the UK.”
If her suspicions are correct, Mia could stop breathing at any time during an MCAS attack.
She feels she can’t get the help she needs through the NHS, so she’s raising money for private specialist help through a GoFundMe page.
Aiming to raise £ 5,000, Mia wants to explore immunological treatment with a specialist.
She said: ‘With the money raised so far I was able to pay £ 250 for a video appointment with a specialist.
“It’s such a relief, because my situation could truly be life or death. Every time I do CPR, I also risk losing my mental capacity if the oxygen does not reach my brain.
“So although I’m only 26, I’ve already talked to my doctor about signing a non-resuscitation or DNR order, so if I find myself in a coma it takes the stress out of it. make a decision for my family. “
In addition to all of her other ailments, Mia also struggles with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a group of conditions that cause very flexible joints and stretchy skin, and postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS) which causes an abnormal increase. heart rate when sitting or standing.
Mia’s condition forced her to quit nursing training in her sophomore year in 2020. She hopes to resume it one day when she recovers.
Speaking about her new illness, she said: “I think it was an underlying thing that was triggered by the antibiotic I was taking for a kidney infection – even though I had been prescribed it several times for about. eight years.
“But now it’s gotten ridiculous – anything can trigger anaphylaxis.
“I can’t even burn candles now, because a gingerbread scented candle triggered a reaction. Everything I use, from washing powder, must be totally bland.”
Recalling a terrifying anaphylactic episode last month, Mia said her parents had to perform CPR on her with a paramedic, while they waited for an air ambulance.
She said: “I could hear my parents talking about their fear that I would die in front of their eyes. I felt like I was dreaming, because I could hear the paramedics saying I could go anytime.
“It’s really stuck with me.”
She added that she could feel she wasn’t feeling well, but just took antihistamines because she didn’t want to “fuss”.
Another frightening attack struck just a few weeks ago when Mia’s partner had to give her CPR after her airways closed when she got out of a hot shower.
She said, “It was horrible for him. He was the only one giving me CPR and I could hear the panic in his voice.
“All I had done was take a shower, so I think the reaction was triggered by the heat and the temperature changes.
“Then I had another allergic reaction that day in the hospital. I was rushed to intensive care and prepared for an induced coma.
“Fortunately, they put a nasal breathing cannula in my throat and created an airway. It’s so unpredictable.”
Since quitting her job and her studies, Mia says she has spent a lot of time on Instagram, where she has met other people with chronic illnesses.
“This is how I found out about MCAS and I have all the symptoms,” she explained.
“I have done my best to raise awareness of chronic diseases, to break down the stigma around them and the support I have received in return has been overwhelming.”
She has described having had to put her life on hold as she struggles with her health and can’t even move in with her boyfriend because her condition is so unstable.
She said: “Sometimes I look at everything that is happening to me and how about to die and I feel totally overwhelmed by it all.
“But trying to raise awareness about chronic disease gave me a purpose.
“And finding out that I have MCAS and that there is a cure for it, if I can raise enough money to research it privately, has also given me hope.”
To donate to Mia’s GoFundMe, click here
Sign up to receive the latest Sussex stories straight to your inbox here.